Skillcrush is on the hunt for an experienced Curriculum Writer to join our Curriculum team! This is a full-time, mid-senior level role.
The Curriculum team at Skillcrush designs, develops, and measures interactive learning content that helps students transform their careers. As a Curriculum Writer, you’ll be writing new curricula and improving existing content, both on your own and in collaboration with others.
Our ideal candidate will have exemplary writing skills, the ability to write great content quickly yet thoroughly, a passion for explaining complex concepts simply and succinctly, a talent for adapting copy for different purposes and audiences, and experience designing e-learning content using instructional design best practices.
You’re able to quickly create clean, organized copy for a specific audience in various online formats, including lesson steps, video scripts, practice exercises, worksheets, templates, syllabi, visual aids, and quizzes. Outlining, writing, editing, and hitting weekly deadlines are no sweat for you.
You know all about adult learning theory and how to best work with subject matter experts to create technically accurate content while keeping it organized, sequential, easy to understand, and in the right voice and style.
- Research, outline, write, and edit copy for video scripts, lesson steps, exercises, quizzes, worksheets, templates, class emails, syllabi, and other instructional materials
- Work with subject matter experts to write learning goals, class outlines, technical lesson content, class projects, and templates
- Work with subject matter experts to update and revise current curricula
- Work with designers and video editors to create design comps, graphics, animations, video cuts, and other visual materials
- Write clear, actionable content that meets Skillcrush’s voice, style, and quality standards
- Ensure that all tasks are completed on time and regular deadlines are met
- Review curriculum metrics and revise content to increase learning effectiveness and retention
- Conduct user interviews to gather student insights and validate curriculum opportunities and challenges
- Document internal processes, guidelines, and instructions
- Experience researching, writing, designing, and managing learning content in an e-learning environment
- Passion for writing (you’ll be doing a lot of it, after all!) and crafting engaging, effective learning content in the Skillcrush voice and style
- Experience collaborating successfully with subject matter experts to create content that meets accuracy and quality standards
- Ability to rapidly take large amounts of information and distill it into clear, organized, actionable content
- Familiarity with best practices and foundational concepts of instructional design, including subject-centered curriculum, backward planning, and scaffolding
- Knowledge of adult learning theories and principles
- Able to take complicated technical concepts and explain them to a beginner audience in clear, digestible steps
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while balancing multiple projects
- Comfortable jumping in to help others with various tasks and problem-solving as needed
- Professional experience as a writer and/or instructional designer
- Experience creating at least one online class from start to finish
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, UX, and web design
- Access to a reliable, high-speed Internet connection
- Experience using rapid e-learning or rapid instructional design principles
- Experience using WordPress and/or WP Courseware to organize and publish content
- Experience using JIRA, GitHub, Confluence, and/or HubSpot
- Background in web design and/or web development
- Familiarity with Agile, Scrum, or Kanban
- Experience working in a remote environment with team members in different time zones
- Flexible, remote work
- Competitive benefits package
- Coworking space credits and other fun perks
- Free access to all the Skillcrush classes you can eat
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
- A fast-growing company with lots of opportunities for job growth
$70-75K commensurate with experience
Skillcrush is a rapidly growing online tech education company that offers online classes on a variety of technological topics.
At Skillcrush, we have built an open & collaborative environment. We hire the people we want to work with, but who also think differently than us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin (or current homebase), sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, family status, time zone, geography, musical preferences or college football allegiances. We think a diverse team builds a better product!
Although based in New York City, the Skillcrush team is a remote company and welcomes job applicants from all over the world!